Monday, May 28, 2012

Without a witness, they all just disappear...

Without a witness, they all just disappear. These were my father's words the last time I visited The Wall in 2011. My dad is a Vietnam veteran and recipient of the bronze star for his efforts and service for our country. I know for certain that for him, everyday is Memorial Day. He experienced and saw more in his time "in the shit" than any one should ever have to see or do. It was the kind of stuff you see in movies and then some. He's been written about in books and magazines including Death Valley by Keith William Nolan. He is highly revered by those that served with him during the war.

Thankfully, he was not a casualty to that war. I contend it absolutely shaped him into the leader and amazing man he is today despite all the sacrifice, scars and heartache. Although it hasn't always been easy for him to discuss his experiences with us, I'm so grateful when he does. I learn more and more about what he went through and it helps to keep the memory alive of those who were lost.

Any time we are in DC, we visit The Wall. Thankfully, I'm not necessarily there to pay my respects to my dad or other family members. But I know my dad's fallen comrades were like family to him while in Vietnam. So while we are there, I say hello for my father, get rubbings, take pictures, touch their names that are carved in the wall... Anything I can to show my gratitude and say thank you. I visit with young men like Michael Quinn and Christopher Ricetti and many others. I always check with my dad to see who to "visit" during my trip, but I generally know where to look as many of them died in the same battle, on the same day. How sad to think that so many lives were cut so short. But at least The Wall allows them to get some recognition and admiration for their efforts and sacrifice.

I'm always interested to see what types of mementos and gifts are left for these men and women at The Wall. I've seen everything from flowers and faded letters to a bag of chips ahoy cookies. On our last visit we brought a photo that my dad sent along. The photo depicts several of the men on The Wall. I left the photo behind for others to see. I hope at least a few people took notice.

Today begins an ongoing campaign to commemorate the Vietnam War. It makes my heart happy as I know it means so much to my dad and his fellow Veterans. And this year means even more as Veteran's Day falls on W's first birthday. I hope to be in DC this November 11, 2012 with my brave father, family and of course my sweet baby girl... my dad's first grandchild, for the groundbreaking ceremony for the Vietnam War education center at The Wall.

I hope as Wilhelmina grows up that she learns about and appreciates her grandfather's service for our country and all Veterans, no matter the war effort. And I cant wait to learn even more from my dad and the results of these new efforts. I hope this will guarantee that each one of those names on The Wall and the beloved veterans that are still with us always have a witness so they never disappear...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-05-28/obama-memorial-day-vietnam-veterans/55253898/1

No comments:

Post a Comment